Masthead

Main Content Area

Main Articles

Scarborough’s Cricket Heritage

The Scarborough Cricket Club was founded in 1849 and the first recorded match was played on Castle Hill. Matches in the early years continued to be played on Castle Hill.

The Club was reconstituted in 1863 and the tenancy of a field on North Marine Road was obtained.

Matches have been played there since then and the Ground was purchased in 1878 at a cost of £3,500 from Mr John Woodall.

The first Scarborough Festival was held in 1876 when MCC beat Yorkshire by seven wickets and with the exception of the War years has continued to be an annual event, the 126th Festival will be held in 2012.

Page Bottom